Newspaper Article Archive of
The Kalona News
Kalona, Iowa
Lyft

Newspaper Article Archive of
The Kalona News

January 18, 2018 No one injured when battery explodes at Iowa Mennonite
Article Pages -- as published on the The Kalona News website.

Thumb Image
1
Thumb Image
2
Thumb Image
3
Thumb Image
4
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ARTICLE DESCRIPTION:

KALONA

No one was injured when a computer battery at Iowa Mennonite School exploded Thursday, but students were sent home early that day and classes were canceled on Friday.

“It wasn’t a huge fire, but significant,” Director of Advancement Jeremy Ours said.

A graphic design class was in progress at the time, Ours said, and a teacher was nearby and extinguished the fire with an extinguisher.

“Thankfully there were people there,” Ours said. “Thankfully no one was injured.”

No one was working on the computer when the lithium ion battery exploded.

Students were evacuated to the front lobby of the school because the temperatures outside were in the teens with ice and sleet falling.

Ours said once administrators determined the danger was limited, the students were moved to the Celebration Hall before school was dismissed early.

The fire department was called and then canceled.

Classes were canceled on Friday to give crews time to clean the damage caused by fire extinguishers. L.J. Roth Restoration Services from Olds was called and worked Thursday evening and Friday to clean the classroom and clear the air of the particles from the fire extinguishers.

Ours said classes resumed Monday, but the computer lab would not be used while staff works with the school’s insurance company to assess the risk from the computers and batteries in use there.

Newspaper Article Archive of The Kalona News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.