Newspaper Article Archive of
(NAPSI)—Summer is officially here, which means that California avocados are at the peak of their season, readily available and optimally delicious. Now is the perfect time to incorporate this nutritious and delicious fruit into just about any dish this season. Its mild, nutty flavor and creamy texture give it a wide range of culinary possibilities.
Warm sunny days call for cool refreshing bites. For a sweet treat, it does not get more satisfying than a delightful frozen yogurt parfait to indulge in the season.
Leveraging the woodland ingredients of the Pacific Northwest and fresh California avocados, CEO and co-founder, Kim Malek and her team at Portland’s Wiz Bang Bar created a one-of-a-kind Wild Berry Frozen Yogurt & California Avocado Lime Fudge Parfait recipe that consumers can create at home.
“I never forget how lucky we are to have access to vibrant, delicious fruit grown on the West Coast and that’s why I’m honored to include and celebrate California avocados in our newest recipe at Wiz Bang Bar,” said Malek.
Wild Berry Frozen Yogurt & California Avocado Lime Fudge Parfait
Recipe created by CEO and co-founder Kim Malek and her team of
Wiz Bang Bar for the California Avocado Commission
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hours
California Avocado Lime Fudge Sauce (see make-ahead recipe)
Wild Berry Frozen Yogurt (see make-ahead recipe)
4 sliced strawberries or fresh lime zest (optional for garnish)
1. Add one scoop of Wild Berry Frozen Yogurt to each glass.
2. Add ¼ cup California Avocado Lime Fudge Sauce to each glass.
3. Add one more scoop of the frozen yogurt to each glass.
4. Top off with ¼ cup of the fudge sauce.
5. Add a sliced strawberry or fresh lime zest (or both) on top to garnish.
6. Serve immediately.
California Avocado Lime Fudge Sauce
⅓ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup water
½ cup + 1 Tbsp. tapioca syrup (can be substituted with corn syrup or brown rice syrup)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 cup white chocolate chips
3 tsp. lime juice
½ lime, zested
1 ripe, fresh California avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed
1. Add the heavy cream, water, tapioca syrup and salt to a small pot, stir to combine.
2. Heat the mixture over medium heat, bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour in the white chocolate chips to make fudge mixture.
4. Pour fudge mixture into a blender, blend until smooth.
5. Allow the fudge to cool slightly.
6. Add lime juice and lime zest to the mashed avocado.
7. Add avocado mixture to fudge mixture in the blender, blend to combine, until smooth.
8. Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
9. Place in refrigerator to cool.
Wild Berry Frozen Yogurt
¾ cup sugar
⅛ tsp. xanthan gum
⅛ tsp. salt
4 cups mixed wild berries, fresh or frozen
⅓ cup tapioca syrup (can be substituted with corn syrup or brown rice syrup)
½ cup water
1½ cups whole milk plain yogurt
1. Add the sugar, xanthan gum and salt in a small bowl, whisk to combine.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the mixed berries, tapioca syrup, water and sugar mixture.
3. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring often until mixture comes to a boil.
4. Remove from saucepan, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then pour into blender.
5. Blend to break up the berries (there will be seeds and a few flecks of berry skin still visible).
6. Pour blended berry mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl; discard seeds.
7. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to cool for a few hours.
8. Once berry mixture is cool, whisk in yogurt.
9. Freeze in a standard at-home ice cream maker; churn until the mixture is the desired texture of soft-serve yogurt.
10. Use a spatula to scoop the frozen yogurt into a freezer-safe container. (Frozen yogurt can be used right away or be stored, covered, in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.)
For more unique ways to enjoy California avocados, visit CaliforniaAvocado.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)