Newspaper Article Archive of
The Kalona News
Kalona, Iowa
Lyft

Newspaper Article Archive of
The Kalona News

August 15, 2018 Shelter offering half-price cat adoptions
Article Pages -- as published on the The Kalona News website.

Thumb Image
1
Thumb Image
2
Thumb Image
3
Thumb Image
4
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ARTICLE DESCRIPTION:

Cats are overloading the PAWS and More animal shelter in Washington as they wait to find their ‘fur-ever’ homes.

As kitten season comes to an end, the PAWS animal shelter is offering a month-long promotion where adoption fees for all cats are 50 percent off – just $50 to adopt a fully vetted, altered and microchipped cat. This is due to the fact that they have too many cats from either rescuing strays or families bringing them in.

“We have around 140 cats in the building currently, and about 30 to 40 in foster homes,” said Alex Kodatt, who has been working with PAWS for two and a half years. “When it is not kitten season, we usually have around 80 cats in the building.”

This is not the first time PAWS has dealt with cats and kittens overcrowding the facility. Each year during kitten season, they find more and more cats to bring in and help. About 75 percent of their cats are strays and the other 25 percent are from families bringing in cats. Since July 1, the shelter has taken in 77 cats.

One major problem the workers at the animal shelter see is that when there are too many cats, it is easier for diseases to spread around among them. Another problem is not having enough space for the cats.

Almost every room in the building is filled with cats as they either wait to get medications, shots or just waiting for someone to finally adopt them.

“We have a room where cats go if they are sick, but with so many cats here currently, we have to use this room as extra storage space since we ran out of space everywhere else,” Kodatt said.

All of their cats are fully vetted by time they get adopted and go to their new homes. If the shelter is unable to get a lot of cats adopted by the end of the month, they may extend the promotion a little longer.

The shelter would like to encourage people to come visit them and adopt a cat since it would take some pressure off of their plate. All of the cats are very friendly and waiting to find their forever families.

www.pawsandmorewashington.org

Newspaper Article Archive of The Kalona News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.