Newspaper Article Archive of
A new program will help veterans to receive free dental care on June 9. In Iowa alone, there is an estimated 211,540 veterans, and most do not receive dental benefits through the Veterans Administration.
If you or someone you know is a veteran who would like to receive this free service, contact 1-844-AspenHMM (1-844-277-3646) to schedule an appointment in advance. The Aspen Dental locations participating include; Cedar Rapids, Coralville, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Dubuque, Fort Dodge, Marshalltown, Mason City, Muscatine, Sioux City, Waterloo, and West Burlington.
For more information about this event, visit: www.aspendental.com/about/healthy-mouth-movement.
Boating safety tips and
free fishing weekend
Summer is almost here and people are excited to spend time on Iowa’s waterways. The Department of Natural Resources has several tips for boating safely.
Boating safety tips:
• Check water conditions before heading out. Due to spring rain, water levels in many Iowa waterways are high and some areas have more debris than usual.
• Before leaving the house, check the boat trailer to make sure the lights are working and the boat is hooked up correctly.
• Have a sober driver.
• Carry a working fire extinguisher on board.
• There must be a lifejacket on board for every person plus a throwaway jacket in case of emergency. Children under the age of 13 must wear a lifejacket, and it is encouraged for everyone to wear a lifejacket.
• It is encouraged for boat drivers to take a boating safety class. The DNR has online classes available at www.iowadnr.gov/Things-to-Do/Boating/Boater-Education.
• Help stop aquatic hitchhikers by draining all equipment when leaving the water. Wash off all plants, animals, mud and dry the boat before moving it to another waterway.
June 1-3 is free fishing weekend in Iowa. Iowa residents can fish without a license all weekend. While no license is required, a trout tag is needed if fishing for trout.
Many waterways across the state have events during free fishing weekend. For more information on free fishing weekend events and fishing tips visit www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve you in the Iowa House. I look forward to hearing from you.