Newspaper Article Archive of
The Johnson County Board of Supervisors announces vacancies on several boards. They are:
• Johnson County Zoning Board of Adjustment for a 5-year term beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31, 2022.
• Johnson County Planning & Zoning Commission for a 5-year term beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31. Duties include making recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on matters relating to requests for rezoning and subdivision platting of property in the unincorporated area of Johnson County. The Commission also makes recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding updates to the Johnson County Unified Development Ordinance. Commission members also make personal tours and inspections of sites for which rezoning or platting has been requested.
• Historic Preservation Commission. One vacancy is for an unexpired term beginning immediately and ending Dec. 31, 2019. The three remaining vacancies are for three-year terms beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31, 2020. Members shall be residents of Johnson County and demonstrate a positive interest in historic preservation, possessing interest or expertise in architecture history, historic preservation, planning, building rehabilitation, conservation in general or real estate. Residents residing outside of Iowa City are especially encouraged to apply.
• Johnson County Conservation Board. The vacancy is for a five-year term beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31, 2022. Duties include responsibility for all real and personal property acquired by the county for public museums, parks, playgrounds, recreation centers, and other county recreation purposes. The Conservation Board also plans, develops, preserves, administers, and maintains all such areas previously described and prepares an annual budget for Johnson County Conservation.
• Johnson County Building Code Board of Appeals for five-year terms beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31, 2022. One vacancy is for a person qualified by experience and training to act upon matters pertaining to the interpretations of the building code by building officials and the second vacancy is for a person qualified by experience and training to pass upon matters pertaining to mechanical design, construction and maintenance. The duties of the Building Code Board of Appeals are: to interpret the Johnson County Building Code and amendments; and to hear and decide appeals of orders, decisions, or determinations made by a building official.
• Johnson County Board of Health for three-year terms starting Jan. 1, and expiring Dec. 31, 2020. Duties of this board include leadership in promoting environmental, personal, and public health through health promotion, disease prevention, education, and regulation. Members need to attend all regular Board of Health meetings and attendance at other meetings and functions deemed necessary to fulfill the mission of public health
• Johnson County Compensation Commission for 1-year terms beginning Jan. 1 and expiring Dec. 31, 2018. Duties include assessment of damage to all property taken by an acquiring agency and located in the county. No member of the Compensation Commission selected shall possess any interest in the proceeding which would cause such person to render a biased decision.
Vacancies include owners of city or town property (seven vacancies), owner-operators of agricultural property (seven vacancies);
Licensed real estate salespersons or brokers (seven vacancies) persons having knowledge of property values in the County by reason of their occupations (such as bankers, auctioneers, or property managers) (7 vacancies).
Qualified applicants need to be eligible electors of Johnson County.
Application forms are available on the Committee/Board Openings webpage of the official Johnson County website, www.johnson-county.com/vacancies and in the office of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors, second floor of the Johnson County Administration Building, 913 South Dubuque Street, Iowa City.
Completed applications must be returned to the Board Office by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017.