Newspaper Article Archive of
The 33rd Annual Kalona Bluegrass Festival is set for July 19-21,
Bob and Kristie Black, Paul and Julie Roberts, and James Yoder are presenting the event again at Windmill Ridge Campground south of Kalona.
Show times are 7 p.m., Friday; 1 and 7 p.m., Saturday; and 10 a.m., Sunday.
There is an admission fee at the gate for individual shows, special pricing for all day Saturday, and a discounted weekend pass. A freewill offering will be taken at the hymn sing on Sunday morning.
This year’s featured bands are:
• That Dalton Gang of Lamar, Mo., on Friday and Saturday. They play bluegrass standards, gospel favorites and originals.
• Bob and Kristie Black and Banjoy with Joy Ward on fiddle, from North English, will play Saturday afternoon. Banjoy brings their unique and personal style with roots going straight back to Bill Monroe.
• The Riverbottom Ramblers from Cedar Rapids plays Friday and Saturday. They play “bluegrassified” standards and country
• The Roe Family Singers from Minnesota perform Friday and Saturday. The group was named the 2016 and 2018 BMAI entertainers of the year.
• Alan and Aleta Murphy of Iowa City perform Sunday. They play bluegrass and gospel favorites, performed with a respect for traditional style, featuring harmony vocals, mandolin, fiddle, and guitar.
•Annie Savage and String Theory from North Liberty perform Saturday afternoon. This energetic and talented North Liberty High School bluegrass string ensemble is led by fantastic fiddler Annie Savage.
• The McPunk Brothers from Sharon Center play Friday and Saturday evening. These long-time local favorites feature traditional and modern bluegrass, gospel, originals and comedy.
•Wheel Hoss from Iowa City play Friday evening. Wheel Hoss features traditional and modern bluegrass, and highlights the extraordinary vocal talents of Colleen Peterson.
• Runt York and The Litter Mates will play a Saturday evening show.
Food will be available Friday and Saturday. Bring your own lawn chairs and come enjoy the music.
For more information/cost of admission go to www.banjoy.com/kalonabluegrassfestival or contact Bob Black 319-330-2462 or 330-2413 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; or Paul Roberts at 319-683-2222 or email email@example.com.